Boehm for Birmingham
REVERSE WIDESPREAD ACADEMIC FAILURE
Birmingham SCHOOLS ARe not preparing students for success in college AND THE workPLACE.
- Only 8.2% of city's 8th graders are proficient in reading and math.
- Only 5% of city's 11th graders meet or exceed college readiness benchmarks.
- Average ACT score for city students is a 15.5... Average for Auburn freshmen is a 26.
SOLUTION: Start at the beginning. Lead fundraising efforts and secure matching funds to expand the Pre-K program for all 4 year olds, equipping students with a foundation of math and language comprehension. Establish benchmarks at each grade level, and increase the teacher training and resources needed to support student success.
STOP CONSTANT LEADERSHIP CHANGE
With so much superintendent turnover, parents are abandoning city schools by the thousands.
- 8 superintendents have vacated the job since 2000, leaving us a system with no vision and no plan
- Student enrollment has deteriorated by almost 50% since 1998, from 40,000 students to only 23,000 today
SOLUTION: Galvanize the school board. Build and execute a comprehensive strategic plan that is designed to support a stronger, more productive partnership with the new superintendent with renewed emphasis on community partners.
CORRECT SYSTEMIC MISUSE OF FUNDS
BIRMINGHAM CITY SCHOOLS ARE DISTRICT RICH, CLASSROOM POOR
- BCS near TOP of all state schools districts in money spent on administration
- BCS near BOTTOM of state school districts in money spent on teachers and classrooms